Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tincture Part III - 200 Ethanol, finally! Natural perfumes experiments cont'd

Update on my cherry tincture.  It’s been a good week since I began adding essential oils to my cherry tincture.  The problem in a nutshell: 190 proof Everclear would be the ideal choice for alcohol based natural perfumes, but these are illegal to sell in California.  So I used 151 proof, which clouded when I added essential oils.  So I waited.  And that’s where we are today.

Still cloudy.  Still smells like a sun dappled walk through an orange grove.  Yum.  The problem is, I don't care for cloudy perfume. It's like eating a banana that tastes good but has brown spots on it.  Not great for eating straight out of the peel, but good in banana bread.  Not sure about this analogy, but you know what I mean. 

I finally got my hands on some 200 proof pure ethanol.  I could ostensibly add enough 200 proof to bring the 151 proof tincture up in strength.  But I opt not to do this because: the cherry tincture would be diluted to render it practically unsmellable (i.e., the “why bother” principal); and, repeat, I have 200 proof ethanol and I’m dying to experiment with the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment