Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

DIY Meyer Lemon Tincture for Natural Perfume - and Lemon Bars Recipe



Shaved lemons, microplaner, and grated peel
My Meyer lemon tree is bursting with fruit.  Meyer lemon trees give you a big bang for your buck.  Mine reaches three feet, max.  I just pulled fourteen lemons off it.    They’re thought to be a cross between a lemon and an orange or mandarin.  Compared to true lemons, Meyer lemons are juicier and sweeter with a peel that is thinner and less pithy.   The peel smells just like the juice tastes – tangy, less sour than true lemon with a roundness like bergamot. 


The fastest way to dry the peel is to use a microplaner.   Simply grate off the skin, being careful not to go too deeply into the bitter pith.  Some sites recommend using your oven or microwave to dry, but I think this destroys some of the essential oils in the peel.  Plus, with the warmer weather we’ve been having, it’s simple just to leave the peel on the counter to dry.  It took a full day for mine to air dry.


You can use the resulting dried peel for cooking, and of course, perfume!  I added the dried peel of fourteen lemons into about 8 oz. of 200 proof organic ethanol.  I’m going to leave it in a cool dark place to tincture, taking out to shake every day. 

Meyer Lemon Bars
Now my only problem is what to do with the bald lemons.  I made lemon bars with two of them.  The others will just have to wait until I get feeling back into my wrist (did I mention there were 14 lemons?).  


Meyer Lemon Bars Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  •  
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 Meyer lemons, juiced, (about 1/3 cup)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
  3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
  4. Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! These lemon bars sound delicious. Once again I am jealous of all you green thumbed perfumers! I don't think Meyer lemons grow in Rhode Island. On a positive note Spring has finally arrived in New England and the lilacs are just starting to bloom. Well--at least we have lilacs, right? Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling your lemon tincture is going to turn out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you back and loooving theses bars! Yuuuuuummmmy! Im pretty sure there not part of my diet but maybe if eat them when know one is aroudn it wont count?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charna, I set aside some lemon tincture for you since you can probably magic it into something wonderful (send me your address when you get a moment!) Tulipsea, if you eat one when no one is around, it definitely won't count. Plus, how many calories could a lemon have, really now?

    ReplyDelete